Application Guidelines for Scholarship
2022 Application Guidelines for Scholarship for International Students
To provide a scholarship of 90,000 yen per month to privately financed international students enrolled in 3-year doctoral course (the Department of Accelerator Science, the Department of Materials Structure Science and the Department of Particle and Nuclear Physics) at the School of High Energy Accelerator Science of SOKENDAI (The Graduate University for Advanced Studies) in order to support their studies.
2．Number of Scholarship Recipients/Amount and Duration of Scholarship
Number of Scholarships Awarded: 1 persons or fewer
Amount: 90,000 yen per month
There is an exception, however, in the event of that any other Scholarships as well as KEK Scholarship can be received at the same time KEK can reduce the benefit total of KEK Scholarship.
Duration: In principle, 3 years starting from the month of enrolling in the courses
Privately financed international students* who apply for admission to the 3-year doctoral course
(the Department of Accelerator Science, the Department of Materials Structure Science and the Department of Particle and Nuclear Physics) at the School of High Energy Accelerator Science of the Graduate University for Advanced Studies, SOKENDAI
* The term “privately financed international student” refers to a person who holds or is in the process of acquiring the status of residence of “college student” as defined in Annexed Table I-4 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act (Cabinet Order No. 319, October 4, 1951) and who does not meet the definition of a Japanese government scholarship international student, as defined in the Guidelines Regarding the Government Scholarship Program for International Students (issued by the Minister of Education, March 31, 1954) and an international student dispatched by a foreign government.
- Those who receive (or will receive) any other scholarships that cannot be received in conjunction with KEK Scholarship for International Students are not eligible.
4．Documents to be submitted
(1) Application Form for KEK Scholarship for International Students (provided form)
(2) Certificate of graduation (*)
Diploma or Certificate of Graduation (prospective graduation) or Degree issued by attended university (undergraduate and graduate school)
(Applicants from universities that do not issue certificates of graduation must submit the original of an attested copy of their graduation diploma with an original official seal or an authorization stamp of the university that issued the diploma.)
(3)Official transcript of the applicant’s academic record (*)
Certificate(s) of Academic Record of university attended (undergraduate and graduate school) (issued by the university from which you graduated)
(4) Recommendation letter from the person who knows the applicant’s research / academic activities well (ex. the applicant’s academic supervisor of the attending or previously attended university, etc.). (*)
(5) Recommendation letter from a prospective supervisor. (*)
(6) Your past research work and activities (*)
(7) Summary of your graduation thesis (*)
(8) Field of Study and Study Program (*)
(9) Proof of Nationality
(A photocopy of your passport pages showing your name, date of birth, nationality, gender, photograph, and passport number is acceptable.)
All of the above documents except for (9) must be originals and copies of such documents will not be accepted. A (*) indicates that documents can be prepared in an arbitrary format.
5． The Application Deadline
May 13, 2022 (Friday)
*The above documents to be submitted must arrive on or before May 13, 2022 by postal mail in principle.
Organization Name (Department in Charge): High Energy Accelerator Research Organization, KEK (The Research Corporation Division, the Research Cooperation Department)
Address: 1-1 Oho, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0801 Japan
7．Methods of Selection and Notification of Results
The selection shall be conducted through a screening of application materials and an oral interview. Notification of the results shall be made by the Director General.
8．Revocation of the decision to grant scholarship
If any misrepresentations are found in the application documents after the decision is made to grant a scholarship as a scholarship student, then the decision shall be revoked. (In such case, scholarship students may be requested to refund all or part of scholarship stipend they have already received as necessary.)
9．Obligations of scholarship students
(1) Scholarship students must submit a “written pledge” (using the provided form) that includes the matters to be complied with as a scholarship student after receiving the notification of decision.
(2) Scholarship students must report their status of enrollment by submitting a Confirmation of Enrollment for KEK Scholarship Students (using the provided form) every month.
(3) Scholarship students must submit an “academic progress report” (using the provided form) at the end of each academic year.
10．Method of providing scholarship money
The monthly amount of scholarship stipend shall be paid into a scholarship student’s designated bank account based on the Confirmation of Enrollment for KEK Scholarship Students submitted by the student. However, the amount for two months or more shall be paid in the account if there are exceptional circumstances.
11．The provision of travel expenses to Japan and expenses for return trip to scholarship student’s own country
The travel expenses to Japan and expenses for a return trip to the scholarship student’s own country may be provided to selected scholarship students.
12．The provision of a scholarship shall be suspended if any of the following items applies:
(1) When a scholarship student takes a leave of absence from the university
(2) When a scholarship student is absent from the university for an extended period.
13．The provision of a scholarship shall be cancelled if any of the following items applies:
(1) When the status of residence of “college student” as defined in Annexed Table I-4 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act (Cabinet Order No. 319, October 4, 1951) is changed to any other status
(2) When a scholarship student withdraws from the university or transfers to another university
(3) When it is considered difficult for a scholarship student to continue his/her study due to a mental or physical disorder
(4) When a scholarship student’s academic performance and tendencies (life attitude) have significantly deteriorated
(5) When a scholarship student is selected as a recipient for the research fellowship for young scientists of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science or a government scholarship international student
(6) When a scholarship student receives any other scholarships that cannot be received in conjunction with KEK Scholarship for International Students
(7) When a scholarship student is considered inappropriate as a scholarship student.
Applicants may be accepted (selected) as an RA (research assistant) at the High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK).